Elly Mackay

After my degree I want to progress into children's book illustration so it makes sense for my product for stage two to reflect this. So let's look at some awesome children's book illustrations to inspire my concertina book.


These are some lovely illustrations made up on some paper cut-outs, paper engineering and other multimedia elements that are then photographed as illustrations.
They are just BEAUTIFUL!
The characters are cute but still very representational and I think this is helped by the collage materials used that give it a bit more realism. The process of photographing the constructed paper scenes makes them feel allot more special than just a straight illustration and again, they feel more real.


The texture on the dress is wonderful!


The colours are subtle and beautiful and she employs lighting techniques to add mood and drama into the illustrations that I don't think you would get without this process. It would be great to give this a go and expand on what I've done already this year with experiments with paper engineering and layering. 


However, It wouldnt really work with what I have planned as the outcomes would be flat illustrations (I want to use layering in the illustrations themselves) but it does show what can be done with just paper and photography.